Let me clarify the sequence and point to some strange behavior.
STEP 1. ADVANCED SEARCH
Open Advanced search and go straight to Activities (without changing anything else).
Choose Activity Type (=Phone Call), relative Activity Date (=Today), Activity Status (=Unreachable). Click Search.
STEP 2. CREATE SMART GROUP
I see Activity Date has been replaced from relative Yesterday to fixed August 18th.
I create a Smart group by Selecting all records and choosing the Action Group - create smart group.
STEP 3. SMART GROUP PARAMETERS
Not much here, but note that Activity Date here is also listed as fixed - August 18th (not Yesterday).
I click the Save Smart Group button.
STEP 4. EDIT SMART GROUP.
That is where all the fun begins.
First, if I do nothing, the Smart Group stays fixed to the particular date and never gets updated to new values.
Second, if I try to Edit the Smart Group, it shows entirely different search parameters.
- Relative Activity date field is empty.
- There is a fixed date value in Activity date field.
- Activity status Unreachable has been changed to Completed and Scheduled.
- The unexpected change of parameters in Edit mode has a very buggy feel.
- Relative date values are transformed to fixed which do not get updated.
- Scheduled Job - Rebuild Smart Group Cache (no parameters) does not help.
- I can not test this on CiviCRM Sandbox, because database is being reset daily(?).
- @JoAnne reports the Relative dates work in Smart groups in v4.4