My organization coordinates international trips, and so we collect flight information for airport pickups. Currently, we use a google form and multiple spreadsheets, but I am exploring possibilities for civi.
What I would like:
- user reporting of their own flight information - arrival date/time, flight info
- user editing of the flight information would be ideal (through online profiles)
- assign someone to pick them up
- create reports and/or exports of the flight information
Here are some options I am thinking of, and I invite suggestions for the best way to handle this use case. (We use Joomla, so webforms are not an option.)
- Create custom Participant fields. The problem with this is that the user could only report them when registering for the event, when they are unlikely to have booked their flights.
- Create custom Contact fields, with a profile for user input/editing. One drawback of this is that it isn't really "contact" information, but I'm willing to overlook that.
- Create custom contact fields with multiple records, which makes more sense that simple contact fields. I haven't used these yet for other cases, but it seems that reporting/exporting would be a problem.
- Create a "Flight" Activity Type, and use the standard activity fields to record the information. The advantage of this is that it doesn't require custom fields, but as far as I can tell, users wouldn't be able to self-report through a front-end profile.
Has anyone else developed a process for tracking airport pickups? What might be some other good options?