My event has a structure of all participants pairing up in study couples (2 or 3 people together). I know I can create a relationship for each one, but I need to see the pairs very clearly in the event participant list. How can I show the list of participants grouped by pairs, or even have each 2 (or more) coupled participants highlighted in different colors?
You can get somewhat close to your desired functionality by putting the contacts in a smart group and displaying them within the relationship report.
- Use the advanced search to display all contacts within the event (by adjusting the search fields within ("Events").
- Add all the contacts to a new smart group.
- Create a new report to show relationships (Administer > CiviReport > Create new report from template > Relationship report).
- In "Filters", set "Group" to your smart group.
- Adjust other report settings as necessary.
But I suspect the end result will still not be 100% satisfying. Groups of three might not display well enough for you.
I would recommend creating a custom report for this. It will require some PHP coding, but will give you the level of control you seek.