I am getting dupes created when contributing. Contribution pages use the 'Unsupervised' dedupe rule, which I have set to First name, Last name & email, assigning 10 to each with a threshold of 30. But then I am getting duplicate contacts created every time, with exact matches on all three fields. When I change the value of email to 20 and set the threshold to 20 a match is made & no dupe. It seems that first name and last name are being ignored and only email is working. Am I misunderstanding something here? Could this be a bug? Using Stripe 4.7.2, Civi 4.7.24 with Drupal 7.
Hi I can confirm the same behaviour. We are on Drupal 7, CiviCRM 5.19.4 and the problem is that the Billing address profile seems to be ignored for the dedupe rules. You must create a new profile with all fields needed for dedupe rule and include it in page. The billing address name and first name is not used.
This sounds like the reverse to what you are experiencing but one issue with email field when matching is that if a record has more than one email, then each of those matching emails is counted - and it is easy for a record to end up with the same email 3 times. So I recommend a rule such as
- First = 10
- Last = 10
- Email = 2
- Threshold = 22
That way a record would have to have 11 of the same emails to count as a match.
I had the same problem and can confirm that names are ignored. I worked around it by created a new rule matching on email address and postcode, and changing the settings to make it use that as the unsupervised rule.
[Edit: adding some info to help diagnose the problem]
This was the original rule:
When I make two online donations under the same email and both names the same, it creates two contacts.
Then I switched the rule to this:
and made another online donation with the same details (including the same postcode), and it logged the donation on the existing contact as expected. (But only when I included a profile with main address fields in the contribution page. Without that, it failed to match, presumably because it matches on main and not billing address).
NB: When the original (email and name) rule is set to supervised, it works - i.e, when I use the "Check for matching contacts" button it finds the one with the same name and email.
[Edit: adding another screenshot]
I also tried with this rule:
and it created a duplicate contact despite having the same first name, last name and email.