I've seen several requests for this, but some seems outdated. Goal: Import contacts and households and update existing records. I'm using http://forum.civicrm.org/index.php?topic=29506.0 as a reference. Should it work for contact updates?
- Using 4.6.3 and import GUI.
- Import household contact with primary home address (complete)
- Associate relationship for contacts as Member of household (complete)
- Associate relationship for contacts of Spouse (TBD but suggestions welcome)
- Associate contacts as having Master Address belonging to household
This seems like a very common use case and I'm almost there...now attempting steps 4 and 5.
- Created csv with household info and imported successfully.
- Used mysql to collect master address record id.
When importing individuals:
- Selected Update method
- I selected "Master Address Belongs To..." and included the Address ID from mysql - Import successful but Address is not updated for existing contact addresses and does not belong to household
Could this be related to: CRM-16588?
So now I have some related addresses (although I have to manually save to show them properly in view screen) but others belonging to individuals. I suppose I could delete all the individual addresses and reimport but don't like that idea ....
BTW perhaps this could drive a rather large feature request/refactor: Rather than import master address belongs to ... use the same relationship method but enable an option like "Let Household fields override Household Member" Perhaps this could work like relationship permissions. This could mean any updates to a contact address would update the linked field (consistent with how event pricesets/address work...)