A user has just renewed their membership, and inadvertently opted for the default amount (60) rather than the correct amount for their particular situation (30). The contribution page offers two price options.

We've actioned the partial refund to address the overpayment, but I need to make a record in CiviCRM of this partial refund.

Right now it looks like the simplest option is to create a new manual contribution record with a negative value, assuming that's do-able, but it's far from ideal. Is there a better way that enables me to keep the membership and the record of the credit card payment already made?

2 Answers 2


Yes you can create refund of overpayment transaction using edit line item extension

  • Thanks. I'll check that out.
    – Graham
    Feb 19, 2020 at 20:06
  • are we talking civicrm.org/extensions/line-item-editor - if so would be good to have the link in the Answer - just 'line item editor' not exact match with 'edit line item' and there is every chance there is more than one such extension around :-)
    – petednz - fuzion
    Nov 3, 2021 at 23:05

Why would you not use the 'Record refund' link on the contribution page? This keeps the history nice and tidy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.