I've used Flexmailer as an extension for ages because it was required for Mosaico. It is now in core (as well as the extension, so not sure which one gets used).
But I don't understand when it's used and what the implications of it are.
The settings in Administer » CiviMail » Flexmailer say:
Traditional Mailing Handler
For greater backward-compatibility, process "traditional" mailings with the CiviMail's hard-coded BAO.
For greater forward-compatibility, process "traditional" mailings with Flexmailer's extensible pipeline.
I don't understand what traditional mailings are - perhaps it's everything except Mosaico mailings?
Specificially, if I send:
- a CiviMail mailing without Mosaico
- a CiviMail Mosaico mailing
- a MessageTemplate with the MessageTemplate.send API
- a MessageTemplate where the template comes via Mosaico message template with the MessageTemplate.send API
- a MessageTemplate with the Email.send from the Email API extension used by CiviRules and FormProcessor and possibly others
- a MessageTemplate where the template comes via Mosaico message Template, sent with the email api extension.
- Some other internally generated message, e.g. the one you might get when an activity is assinged.
- Emails created from the Send Email (without CiviMail) action, which I presume is the same as when you add a Send Email activity(?)
- Scheduled Reminder emails.
which system would be used when Flexmailer is set to Auto?
what would be the implications of having flexmailer forced in the settings?
any other things I ought to know ;-)