Thank you all for the answers. I have set up my test local environment with a new install of joomla 3.9.22 and was successful in installing Civicrm.
On the production environment, I downgraded to php 7.3 and applied the suggested patch to the joomla 3.9.23. After proceeding with the installation of civicrm, I am getting a different error message:
An error ...
The suggestion by Demerit worked. I was not aware but our most recent backup was corrupt. Following the "live on the edge" comment, I completed another back-up (not corrupt) and changed the version number. Then ran the update script and it upgraded properly.
Thank You Demerit for assisting with this!
The recommended way would be to restore from an earlier backup and then run the upgrade again. If you want to live on the edge:
Make a backup of your current database so you can at least get back to current.
In the database fool civi into thinking you have an old database from just before when this seems to have been a problem: UPDATE civicrm_domain SET ...
The timeout issue itself is caused by a new issue that is created in the latest joomla version itself (3.9.23). Joomla version 3.9.23 introduced an issue: unzipping an install file with several zips inside itself won't work. This causes the behavior you describe.
In the next version this issue will be solved. You can solve the issue now by manually ...
Joomla version 3.9.23 introduced an issue: unzipping an install file with several zips inside itself won't work. This causes the behavior you describe.
In the next version this issue will be solved. You solve the issue now by manually installing a patch made by Yootheme, which can be found here:
To solve the timeout issue, I unzipped the archive in the admin folder then in the configure.php put a block comment from line 39 to line 59. Install was done in record time.
On your server, create a folder in your Joomla instance under administrator/components called com_civicrm.
On your computer unzip your Joomla install ...