I found it quite hard to replace the customization done with hook_civicrm_contactListQuery (CiviCRM <= 4.4) with the new hook_civicrm_apiWrappers (CiviCRM >= 4.5).
So I am sharing my results here.
My goal is to have a way to search quickly either by contact name, or by a custom field that stores a member identifier (different from internal identifier ...
This is by design - see https://issues.civicrm.org/jira/browse/CRM-15653 for an explanation and the reasoning.
Overall, I think this change was the right one - I worked with someone at a California-based public health organization who could never look up "California Department of Public Health", because basically all the organizations in their database had ...
This is job for the Search Builder that you can find in the Search menu
Select Individual Prefix
Complete with = and the desired title.
When the results are shown you can create a Smart Group for this search.
The base code for it is located at navigation.js.tpl where all the menus have been listed with their search inputs.
Adding source as a search field seems to just add another line with a value as source.
Note: Changing core file may not be recommended as you may lose them after upgradation.
It sounds like you have a problem on your install/instance, perhaps a host issue.
If you are evaluating CiviCRM, you may first want to try the Joomla Demo and/or create a sandbox to test on.
Once you have done the evaluation you can look in to why your instance is giving you problems.
This is a regression that has been identified in 4.7.7 - thanks for spotting it.
Progress on the issue, and a patch to resolve it, will be posted on the issue tracker here: https://issues.civicrm.org/jira/browse/CRM-18510
Thanks Joe for the comment. In the search settings, all of the checkboxes for "Autocomplete Contact Search" were checked. We disabled all but "Contact" (which is set by default) and "Email" and now it's working.
I originally wrote it that way to avoid confusion. If you want to pull up contact id 20 you'll be overwhelmed with irrelevant results (201, 202, 203, 120, 220, 320, and so on). You'll get so many results that the one you actually wanted might not even be in the list!
That said, if someone had time and/or money for the project, I'm sure there could be ...
You can add easily add predefined fields into the autocomplete results by selecting fields under "Autocomplete Contact Search" under "Settings - Search Preferences".
Adding the Birth Date will not be as easy. Technically you could add an additional option group value to the option group contact_autocomplete_options, but that will be pretty much ...
A very speedy google on 'drupal autocomplete block' turned up many modules that will help you. Plug in the results of a civicrm api call, remembering to set count=0 to sidestep the 25 result limit. If you get stuck on a specific part then please reply!
Actually, it turns out that this doesn't help our client. I wasn't aware at the time but he uses the advanced search and needs to select a "Display As" selection, Activities for example. He tried to find a way to still use the search builder but wasn't successful. I ended up creating custom php changes to revert CRM-15653. This functionality was very ...